Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Book Review: Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron

Book Review: Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron
Stacey Greenberg


Super Baby Food is not a book that can possibly be read from front to back and like my friend Julie says, “[The author’s] cross referencing will drive you mad.” However, I have found this book to be incredibly useful (and a little scary). Once I realized that I didn’t have to boil every object in my kitchen on a daily basis for Ruth to love me, I happily began making my own baby food. I have gained a Martha Stewart type of satisfaction from doing this. Making the food is quite simple and requires basic skills like boiling and grinding. I usually spend a few hours each month making a few batches and freezing them in ice cube trays. Once they are frozen, I pop the cubes out and put them in freezer bags. We just started making the “Super Porridge” which is a huge hit.

I believe that I am not only saving money, but I am starting Satchel off on the right foot. People are somewhat amazed that my darling boy is wolfing down avocado, tofu, and prunes. (Marlinee is also using the Super Baby Food system and I am amazed that her precious little girl is slurping up kelp, nutritional yeast, and lentils!) Super Baby Food also offers some handy tips like washing your kitchen garbage can in the tub once a week (yeah, right!) and the proper distance to keep between you and your blender. There are some REALLY useful tips too, like freezing water in baby bottle nipples to make teething popsicles (very cool!).

Marlinee, Julie, and I are all using this system and our children’s ages range from 7 months to 19 months of age. The Super Baby Food book is something you can and will use for a long time. So I do recommend this book, but I also recommend that you take it with a grain of salt. Don’t try to read it all in one sitting, and by all means get to know your local natural food store and it’s products.

No comments: